Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Power of a lie

I was recently reflecting on Romans 8:19 which says "...creation waits eagerly for the revealing of the sons of God." All of creation is waiting, we ourselves are groaning, and the Spirit is interceding for the revealing of the sons (and daughters) of God. This is a big deal, thus the Enemy has worked very hard to keep your identity from being revealed. I have recently been reminded about how powerful a lie is in our life, when we believe a lie about our core-identity. I have had a struggle resting and sleeping over the last 2+ years, some of it I have attributed to some burnout. Burnout is when the power source begins to be inadequate for the challenges of life, so in other words I must be living out of my own resources rather than the Holy Spirit. As these core lies would operate in my life and I could not sleep, this would reinforce the belief that "I am the problem" because due to lack of sleep I would be not as present for family activities. I am amazed at how powerful lies are because they affect the manifestation of Christ in us. Lies have their own manifestation, it first leads us to being tempted, then led away from dependence on Christ, then choosing sin, and finally sin bears fruit for death (James 1:14-15). In the midst of a lie being triggered (like "I am the problem") your feeler is flooded with feelings that match the lie then puts pressure on your will (chooser) to choose to depend on flesh rather than Christ in you. This is why Satan is called the "father of lies" because these lies lead us to manifest the nature of the liar (darkness) and not Christ (Light). In Matthew 6:22-23 Jesus says, "The eye is the lamp of the body; so then if your eye is clear, you whole body will be full of light. But if you eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light that is in you is darkness, how great is the darkness!" In these verses Jesus is talking about the eyes of the mind or heart, so if we are believing a lie, then darkness is what we see and so this is what we experience inside. I heard Ed Silvoso define a lie as, "A thought contrary to the will of God impregnated with hopelessness." In 1 John 1:5 we have the pronouncement that "...God is Light, and in Him there is no darkness at all." We all experience darkness at times but my prayer is that we would come into the Light more and more, experiencing His love and freedom. I pray that as you understand how lies operate in your life, you will be able to take these lies to the Holy Spirit (John 16:13) called the Spirit of truth for a reason. I believe so much of our inheritance is unlocked as these lies/strongholds are taken down by the power and love of the Spirit of Christ. I pray that Jesus prayer from John 16:13, may the Spirit of truth lead you into all truth.

In Christ,
Bret

No comments: