Sunday, February 21, 2010

Honor beyond what I deserve

As I took my daughter to the "Father/Daughter Dance" I was struck by the power of a father in a daughter's life. I had not slept well the night before and I was somewhat "slogging" through the day but my daughter was so excited that as a dad I needed to rise above my circumstance. She looked so cute in her poodle skirt and pony tail for the 50's themed dance. The gym was decorated with white Christmas lights, a balloon archway, and balloons littered one side of the floor. As the DJ poured on the 50's music and I took my daughter's hand to lead her to the dance floor, I caught the twinkle in her eye. In this twinkle it communicated to my heart that there was no other place in the world she would rather be than with me at this dance. As she laid her head on my chest as we danced; I realized that my assessment of how good a dad I was or how crappy a dad I was, I was her dad. As I looked around at the other fathers and daughters I wondered if these fathers understood that God had given them a key to their daughter's heart. In Luke 1:17 the Word says that through John the Baptist God was turning the hearts of the fathers to their children. I am honestly scared, honored, and taken a back by the influence the Lord has given me in my daughter's life. It is such grace that she sees me so much bigger than I really am, when I seem to see all my faults in 3-D they are barely noticeable to her. I don't believe it is most important for her to not see my weakness but to extend grace in those areas of weakness. I pray that through me she would see the unconditional love of her Father in Heaven. How blessed I am to have children and enjoy the revelation of the Heavenly Father as I sense some of His delight over His own children.

In Papa's Arms,
Bret

No comments: