Wednesday, February 17, 2010

God better than GPS?

Of course God is better than GPS but I sensed the Holy Spirit teaching me something about God's Kingdom through my GPS. Now some would say this is strange but is it not true that, "My sheep hear my voice" (John 10:3). On Wednesday mornings I have an early morning Bible Study downtown (30 minutes from my house), so I take my GPS because it is traffic-enabled. Which simply means it has a fancy cord that allows the GPS to get traffic information. So as I am heading to the office from downtown, I punch in the address of our office for directions, not because I don't know how to get there but so I can see the traffic. And up pops the little red triangle with a number indicating the number of minutes delay because of traffic on my route. When I hit the traffic button on the GPS screen, it gives a place where I can select alternative routes with less or no traffic. Cool! So instead of sitting in traffic I just bypass all the traffic via an alternative route. I sensed the Spirit reveal to me that this an analogy for what the Word says "... seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus." (Ephesians 2:6) The GPS gave me a view from above the earth through Global Positioning Satellites which relayed information to my GPS unit. All of this enabled me to see into the unseen realm (traffic miles away) and then gave me a new route. I got the idea of GPS illustrating (albeit crudely) spiritual concepts through Steve McVey's example. Steve McVey said GPS is like God's grace in that whenever we get off course the GPS (God's grace) simply recalculates to get us back on course. Thus mistakes are not detrimental but can be handled by God's grace (or the GPS in this example). I also find it interesting that the GPS gets information from satellites that are high above the earth in space, giving us a perspective of earth that is much different than what you get walking around on the ground. Point, does the Father see things from a different perspective when He looks on the earth from His heavenly throne. Yes! The amazing news is that the Word says that the Father and Jesus Christ will come make there abode in us (John 14:23). It does not say this will happen if we do everything right, not sin, and pray hours in the day. The Word is saying that through the finished work of Jesus Christ and God placing us "in Christ" (1 Corinthians 1:30), that we now become the dwelling place of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. One of the three of the Godhead blew me away but that God place the Trinity within us is totally incomprehensible. I pray that God will speak to you through this and if not you will have had a laugh. Life can be too much to not laugh.

In His Grace,
Bret

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So if I leave a comment here then you have to respond? :) Just kidding, you don't have to. This is Sarah, btw.

I like your GPS analogy. I also appreciate that we still have a choice in either case. In other words, you could have chosen to sit in traffic (a dumb choice, but still yours to make) if you wanted to. Obviously, the consequences of that would have taken place--"death"--you could have been late to work or you could have become frustrated by sitting in traffic, but the choice was still yours.

I like that about God, and I have been experiencing that lately/that has been my prayer--that his choices would overwhelm me so that I would want to choose him instead of things not Him. The past few days have been wonderful in that He is answering my prayers with "yes's". I know it might not always be like that, but I am enjoying it while I can and INTENTIONALLY looking for those moments.

Thanks for sharing, Bret!

Bret and the Rutland Family said...

Sarah,
I am so glad that the Lord encouraged you through the blog. I do appreciate the comments because my heart is to see others connect with the Father and grow in who they are. I believe answered prayers are one of the greatest blessings. We seem to come back to this subject in Advanced Training because there is so much there. I believe be led by His Spirit in prayer brings us into praying His prayers. Then there maybe a season where He asks you what you want and you will be delighted to see that your desires and His are the same.

Blessings,
Bret