Friday, September 17, 2010

Soul and spirit seperate?

As I was reading a book by Watchman Nee called "Releasing the Spirit" I resonated with what he talked about that the outer man (soul) is separated from the inner man (spirit).  As we go through brokenness this fusion between our soul and spirit seems to be torn and broken.  This is often involves deep pain, yet our spirit is allowed to be more free.  After going through brokenness, which can be somewhat of an outer body experience I began to experience life very differently.  I began to notice that my soul can be struggling, while my spirit remains calm.  Before experiencing brokenness I always thought freedom would mean that my soul would never struggle, I find that this is not true.  After going through brokenness the first time and many times afterwards, there are days when my soul struggles deeply with deceptions and temptations.  It was very helpful to read Watchman Nee's description because I can see more clearly that my soul is in a process of being transformed, so many times it will be in a state of unrest.  This doesn't mean I have to be in a state of unrest, because the real me is hidden "in Christ" so I can be at peace even though there are large swells on the ocean of my soul.  The world on the other hand offers soul peace through controlling your outside environment, going to restful places, and removing things that are annoying.  This is why in Matthew 6 Jesus talks about how the pagans strive for what they need, but we as children of God receive them from Our Father.  Jesus talks about the state of worry in which our souls are concerned for our basic needs, worry also means to go two different directions.  When His Spirit is enthroned in our life through our spirit we are depending on Him, thus not divided otherwise we are depending on ourselves always trying to determine good and evil.  Our spirit united with His Spirit has one focus and that is His Kingdom and His righteousness (Matthew 6:33).  Separation between the soul and our spirit means that we can praise God in our spirit continuously without being constantly interrupted by the troubles of our soul.  May you begin to notice the shift the Lord has brought about within, so you can yield to the Holy Spirit and not the noise of the soul.  The soul is not bad but cannot be our master or we will not experience freedom and life.

Possessed by Promise,
Bret

No comments: