Friday, June 25, 2010

The Power of Belief

We were invited by some friends to their cabin in the mountains on a lake, my family was tired from camping the previous weekend and the week but looking forward to the trip.  We reminded the kids that on Fridays we clean rooms, since I am not always around on Friday this was my first time supervising room cleaning in a while.  My daughter quickly went to work but my son seemed to get lost in playing with the LEGOs that were on his floor.  When I challenged him that it was time to clean his room, he got frustrated and declared "I can't".  I know that partly he did not want to clean his room but also somewhere inside of him he believed "I can't".  I watched as he struggled like it was an impossible task, so I would ask him which part he wanted to do first then I sat in their with him.  Sometimes I wander if being in an orphanage for 17 months affecting him believing in his own capability.  I decided to make it my personal mission to help him see the truth by experience, it did take over an hour for him to clean his room and pack a small bit of clothes for the weekend trip.  One of the last things to do was to put his comforter on his bed, as he repeatedly declared "I can't" he struggled to even have the comforter on the bed much less neatly arranged.  I was amazed at the power his declaration were having over his body, it seemed his body moved in rhythm with his repeated declarations.  I was convicted that many of my negative declarations over myself are what end up in a negative mood and then my actions follow.  This is a rather simple lesson but one I seem to need to relearn over and over again.  This is why the declared Word of God is so powerful, Jesus displays this by rebuking the Enemy when He was in the wilderness by the spoken Word of God.  I talked earlier about a verse in 2 Peter 1:4  "For by these He has granted to us His precious and magnificent promises, so that by them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world by lust."  Amazing it is through the many promises of God "in Christ" that we are partakers of the divine nature, I have been told all these promises are already mine "in Christ".  The truth is while all these promises are mine, there are many areas of my soul where I exponentially believe a lie rather than the truth of the promises of God.  This sure sounds like an overwhelming amount of work to declare the promises of God over my life til the Holy Spirit births these in me.  Maybe I need more revelation into the power of His promises being birthed in my life.  I was raised in the belief that if something is painful it must be wrong, but I have learned contrary to this in my life that the best things in life often come with much pain (ie. good family relationships, trusting God, faith, and love).  So I come back to the power of belief, if I continue to believe lies rather than His promises I will not experience escaping the corruption in the world.  I decide today to believe the truth of His Word, as I continue to put His Word before me that it maybe birthed in me.

In Christ,
Bret

No comments: