Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Accepted by?

I am convinced we all have a pathway for finding love and acceptance that has nothing to do with what God has accomplished for us through Christ.  As I listened to one author who is a scientist, she said we were created to be loved.  I believe we don't just need love and acceptance, to be loved and accepted is life.  Therefore in our families growing up we all seek to become the person we believe will be loved and accepted, yet ironically when this false self is loved it is empty because it is not the real person.  There is a deep-seated fear in every person that goes back to the beginning, in Genesis 3:10 Adam voices this fear "...I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid myself."  When I asked one friend what he believed righteousness was, he said to stand before God naked and unashamed.  Attempting to obey the Law would mean that I put on a self-righteous mask, whereas being accepted with worldly friends means that I wear the mask of being like them, or I attempt to hide behind the mask of "everything is fine" afraid people will see the sadness or disappointment in life.  I believe one of the most powerful ways we seek acceptance and love, was the pattern of hiding we learned as a child.  As I reflect on my life I realized that the mask I often hide behind is the "being right" mask which changes like a chameleon based on who I am with.  Just as long as I avoid the dreaded rejection but quietly missing an opportunity to connect with another person from my true self.  Yet as I lift my eyes to look at Jesus I see a human being who willingly endured rejection to be His true self, love.  There is a courage that comes from the Holy Spirit that is required for us to walk in our true identity and really connect with others.  I am amazed when I walk away from talking with a friend who is a believer, when I am able to be my true self then both of us receive a grace.  Being my true self always means that I get an opportunity to display my humanness, let's face it humanity is always messy.  May God Spirit give you the courage to be the true you today.

In His Grace,
Bret

1 comment:

Marie said...

Powerful stuff here!