Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A Picture of Unconditional Love!

Often we neglect the small pictures in life that God shows us of Himself, that aren't the wonderful sermons or the great exposition of Scripture. I am not saying these aren't valuable but I find that being like a child is how I best receive revelations from Him. We have a 2 year old golden retriever who is the picture of joy and unconditional love. I never had a dog growing up so it has taken me a while to warm up to her. I tend to want dogs to have their place as pets, I admit it because I don't always know how to receive their love. Shilo, our golden, is so full of joy that she will roll for many minutes on a loved toy in the back yard like she is in heaven itself. She greets every person with an irritating exuberance not matched by many dogs, she loves each new person that dares to dawn our doors. She especially knows dog lovers and seems to revel in their affection like they are the only person on earth. Sometimes her wild displays of affection downright embarrass me because she doesn't hold back. There has only been a few times when I come through the door when I am not greeted like she hasn't seen me in years. Of course I am her "alpha", even though I did not seem to earn this title. It was cemented in Shilo's heart the day she decided to test the side of a waterfall to see if it would be fun. Fortunately the waterfall was not a vertical drop but a gentle slope of maybe 20 degrees, before we knew it she was going down the waterfall backwards. In a moment of bravery and stupidity I jumped in after her and pulled her to safety. It was truly inspired by God because I am normally timid and cautious, but this day I was brave and noble. After this rescue I was not only "alpha" but seemed to have a position (in Shilo's eyes) close to the Almighty Himself. I like most dog owners have had their times of irritation, frustration, and outright wanting someone else to enjoy my dog. But at the end of the day her fun-loving, joyful, not always smart personality has won me over. She is truly a small snip it on earth of unconditional love because even if I scold her she still wants to be close to me. If God created a creature with such a disposition as a golder retriever, isn't there something of His fingerprints on her. Maybe some way we can learn more about Him. I know that my life is richer because of Shilo, though my pride hates to admit that. It was not my idea to have a dog but I can see why dog is "man's best friend". Why because most men don't have friends because of our pride. I am finding a true man is one who can be loved and love others. I pray that this story will encourage you and if not at least add a little laughter to your day.

In His Grace,
Bret

No comments: