Friday, November 21, 2008

A Funny Story!!!

I had asked the Lord to reveal to me more about sin and defilement. Since I grew up in a non-believing home, where pluralism and tolerance were the main ideologies understanding sin can be confusing. Asking the Lord to reveal this was so I could not participate in sin such as worry, unforgiveness, unbelief, or any such sin. Recently the Lord has been showing me more about forgiveness and how to walk in forgiveness. So as I set out to take our dog Shilo for a walk I bundled up because it was right at freezing and just spitting snow. We walked for a ways with my nose running a little because of the cold, Shilo was content on the leash until we got to an open space. She loves to be off leash if there is no one else around, so unlactched her and she took off with a smile on her face (it does look like a smile). She decided she needed to do some business and went pee then she decided to go poop. Since we were at the end of the open space I used a plastic bag to scoop the poop and put Shilo back on leash. We continue on our walk for a ways on the sidewalk, then out of the blue I hit a patch of ice. I was quickly on my rear end and the poop bag I was holding exploded at the fall smearing on the ice but also my glove and coat. To make matters even better someone stopped to ask if I was okay. I laughed and decided to finish my walk coming back to clean up the poop on the sidewalk. As I walked on I sense the Lord speak to me about what just happened. He reminded me of my prayer and said that the poop is like the sin that is visited on us when someone hurts us. We quickly pick up the poop to contain it through a judgement, judging the person seems to make the hurt a little less painful. Then like I was we carry the poop (judgement from the sin) in a bag, believing we are just fine. It is only when we hit a patch of ice (something or someone triggers the unforgiveness), that the sin/judgement spills out and brings defilement (the poop on my coat and glove). Dog poop stinks by the way, this defilement wasn't me (I showered in the morning) but now I was affected by it. In the same way when our unforgiveness comes out towards another person it stinks (from defilement) but this is an opportunity for the Holy Spirit to free us from the judgment and the defilement. Often the judgement/defilement affects the people we love the most (our family, close friends, or extended family). To be free of both forgive and release the original judgment you held against a person when they hurt you and then ask the Lord to see them through His eyes. If possible go to the person and tell them you forgive them (be specific). According to the Word of God you then release them from prison and yourself. The Enemy will often use unforgiveness as a way to torment believers, don't give him this ground.

In His Grace,
Bret Rutland

No comments: